When you are young and asked what you want to be when you grow up, the response will typically be doctor, nurse, lawyer, or policeman. In reality, those hopes and dreams change as you get older. However, kids are impressionable and frequently want to grow up just like their dad.
In my case, we didn’t come from much but my dad had an office job and wore a tie to work every day. I thought it was pretty cool that he got to dress up and it gave him respectability in my eyes; I knew I wanted an ‘office’ job too when I grew up.
It might be a stretch to say I have grown up, but I can say I do have an office job and get to wear a tie to work.
You do what for a living?
But what if your family profession is something totally bizarre, disgusting, or very hazardous. How much pressure will there be to follow in your father’s footsteps? What if you don’t know any better?
What if it’s a septic tank company and all your friends call you ‘stinky’. It might be like the premise behind “A Boy Named Sue” by Johnny Cash and his absent father named him Sue to make him tough. You might have to whip butt for respect, but at least they will call you Mr Stinky, huh?
My top 3 ‘thanks a lot dad’ professions I don’t recommend:
- Wing Walker – Todd Green who fell over 200′ to his death at an air show in Michigan. This is a person who voluntarily chose this profession to follow in the footsteps of his father. Thanks dad…
- Rope Walking – The famous Wallenda family known for their daredevil exploits and still carry on the tradition. Patriarch Karl Wallenda was unsuccessful on his last attempt. Thanks dad…
- Motorcycle jumping – Let’s not forget Evel Knievel who literally broke every bone in his body 2-3 times. Yes Robbie, I think you should follow in your dad’s footsteps, it’s a very benign profession. Thanks dad…
- Budweiser beer distributorship – are you kidding me? This is the closest thing there is to printing money. All you have to do is show up and not mess it up. How hard can that be?
- Walmart – Sam Walton’s kids – are you kidding me? You don’t even have to show up at this one and you still make the billionaire’s list. Yes, you can be a total idiot and still get your money.
- Prince Charles – Prince William and Prince Harry – are you kidding me? Let’s see, I think I’ll play polo today; they don’t even have any real duties, they wear make believe uniforms and people treat them like royalty, say what?